Author Notes: This is my favorite combination, but the recipe leaves plenty of room to improvise. You can substitute maple syrup for the honey or melted butter for the oil. You can add brown sugar to the mix. And, of course, you can change what kind of nuts and fruit you use. - Emma Wartzman
Makes about 4 quart jars
- 6 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 cups almonds
- 2 cups pecans
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1 cup dried cherries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together the oats, nuts, and seeds in a large bowl.
- Spread evenly on two baking sheets lined with parchment paper and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let cool completely and then break up the hardened granola into a large bowl. Mix in the dried fruit. Store in an airtight container.