Author Notes: We created this soup when the weather turned cold this winter and find ourselves turning to it time and time again when we need a healthy and satisfying meal we can throw together in minutes. Packed full of vitamins and cold fighting ingredients, it's comfort food without the guilt. The combination of udon noodles and broth sweetened with creamy coconut milk has proven to be irresistible for even the youngest members of our family. - Carolyn G
- 8 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Coconut Milk (light or regular)
- 1-2 tablespoon grated ginger root
- 5 ounces sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 4 baby bok choy, chopped
- 6 ounces udon noodles (or try pad thai rice noodles for a gluten free alternative)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- chili oil (garnish)
- 3 sliced green onions (garnish)
- poached egg (optional)
- Heat canola oil in a large wok and saute shiitake and ginger over high heat for 3 minutes. Add baby bok choy and saute for another 2 minutes.
- At the same time, in a separate pot, boil chicken broth and cook udon noodles according to directions (approximately 3 minutes).
- Combine vegetables, broth and noodles in one pot. Add coconut milk to taste.
- Ladle into bowls immediately. Add a poached egg if desired. Garnish with sliced green onions and a few drops of chili oil.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Noodle Soups