If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I once had the most amazing eggplant dumplings at Aqua in San Francisco and had wanted to try something similar. Rather than the luxurious lobster broth they were served with, I decided to pair them with an earthy mushroom broth. Some sweet bursts of peas and carrots balance that earthy smoke and the watercress adds a perfect bite. —savorthis
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/4 pounds white mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 leek, washed, white parts thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup dried porcinis
- 1 cup medium dry sake
- 1/3 cup soy
- 6 cups water
- 3/4 cup peas
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch watercress
- chili oil (optional)
- rice vinegar (optional)
- 1 eggplant
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon hoisin
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- won ton wrappers
- Sauté mushrooms, leeks and garlic until mushrooms have released their juices. Add sake, soy, dried mushrooms and water and simmer, covered, with the lid slightly cracked about an hour. Pour through a fine meshed strainer and return to pot. Add peas and carrots and cook until carrots are just tender.
- Char eggplant all over (on grill, under broiler, or over flame) until very soft being careful to not burn too much. Place in a bowl and cover with lid or plastic wrap to steam until cool. Peel and finely chop eggplant. Stir in remaining ingredients and adjust with salt if needed. Place a teaspoon of filling into a wrapper, wet edges and form in some fashion that suits you. Dumplings can be simmered in soup or steamed separately (about 8-10 minutes). Serve with watercress and a few drops each rice vinegar and chili oil if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Noodle Soups
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Burgers! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Un-junk your closet (or hide it).
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
A more carrot-y carrot cake.
Get your shine on.