Author Notes: Tuna sandwich done right. - Nicole Franzen
- 1 can of tuna (drained)
- 1 lemon (zest & juice)
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/4 red onion (quick pickled)
- handful kalamata olives (pitted and quartered)
- handful of cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 2 stalks of celery hearts (leaves reserved)
- sandwich roll
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt & pepper
- -In a bowl add the tuna, the zest of one lemon, juice of half, a tablespoon of capers, 2 tablespoons olive oil, pinch of sea salt & freshly ground pepper. Can sit for a couple hours before serving.
- -Thinly slice a quarter of a red onion and submerge in vinegar (red wine, white wine will do). At least 5 minutes, could be longer.
- -Half cherry tomatoes, add quartered olives, thinly sliced celery and celery leaves and toss to combine.
- -To build sandwich, place basil leaves along the bottom. Top with the tuna mixture, juices included, add a layer of the tomato mixture, then finish with some of the pickled red onion. Enjoy.