If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Whenever I feel homesick or am in bed nursing a cold and a sore throat, the only smells that waft through my senses are that of bowl of a piping hot rasam, that my mother would lovingly whip up. A thin broth made with a base of tomatoes and tamarind, rasam is infused with herbs and spices. My favorite go to for the winter is a big bowl of garlic-pepper rasam served with rice or vermicelli and a generous dollop of ghee. This is a comfort food that is delicious just because or to soothe ones sinuses, sore throats and such. Garnished with fresh cilantro, it is the most simple south Indian dish, yet one that is most comforting and satisfying. A perfect hug from the inside out! - vtilak
- 2 cups Cooked Vermicelli (rice or your favorite kind)
- 3 cups Water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 teaspoon cummin powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 5 medium garlic pods smashed
- 1 tablespoon canola/olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ghee/clarified butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a heavy bottom sauce pot heat the oil and ghee together
- Add the cumin and mustard seeds
- When the seeds stop popping add the garlic pods and cumin and pepper powder and saute for a few seconds.
- Pour in the 3 cups water and add the turmeric, tomato paste, tamarind paste, chopped tomatoes and salt and let it come to a boil.
- Garnish with cilantro
- Heap the vermicelli in a bowl and ladle the rasam into it, tomatoes garlic pods and all. Add fresh ground pepper and sprinkle with a few sprigs of fresh cilantro and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Noodles
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Noodle Soups
A Custard Jacuzzi
Your flan needs a bath.
A Custard Jacuzzi
Good 'ole meat and potatoes.
A Carry-On Cocktail Kit
The Daily Grind
Prep your pans for perfection.