Author Notes: This Vegan Quinoa & Sweet Potato Chili recipe is a cooking checklist dream come true. Healthy? Yes. Cheap? You got it. Full of items most likely already stocked in your kitchen? Uh-huh. One-pot wonder? Done. Under 30-minutes? Yup. Freezer-friendly? For sure. Filling, flavorful, hearty, wholesome? Each more than the last. And last but not least (because I am running out of different ways to say the affirmative), it's absolutely delicious.
A true "pantry" dish, over half the ingredients are kitchen staples; the four fresh ingredients - KvellintheKitchen
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, with juice
- 32 ounces (4 cups) vegetable broth
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- salt & pepper to taste
- avocado, cilantro for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, and cook until soft and translucent, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, cocoa powder, cumin, and oregano. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add black beans, vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, and sweet potatoes; season with salt & pepper. Raise heat to bring to a boil, and add quinoa.
- Turn heat down to low, and continue cooking for about 20 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked through, stirring every 5 minutes. Add additional salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with avocado and chopped cilantro, or other desired garnishes.