If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I started making this about 6 or 7 years a go from a recipe my mom had given me. It has been tweaked over the years and I have recently just perfected it. I ALWAYS get requests for this when someone is having a birthday, cookout, football party, you name it! It truly is a must have in your recipe box :) - jenbonoma
- 1 Stick of butter
- 6 tablespoons flour (white or wheat)
- 4 cups milk reduced fat 2 % (or whole if you like it super creamy)
- 8 ounces package of cabot pepperjack cheese cubed
- 8 ounces package of cabot sharp white cheddar cheese (extra sharp)
- 8 ounces boars head smoked gouda cheese sliced
- 1/4 pound creamy boarshead havarti cheese
- 2 cups plain breadcrumbs (enough to cover the top of the baking dish)
- shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon each of salt and pepper
- 1 pound orecchiette pasta cooked very al dente
- Make a roux: Put about two cups of water in a small cooking pot. Place a frying pan on top of the pot and put the stick of butter in the frying pan. Turn the burner on to a high temp. Once the water starts to boil, the hot steam will melt your butter. I use this method because it prevents the butter from burning which is an easy thing to do. Once the butter is fully melted start adding the flour, 2 tbspns at a time. Each time you add the flour mix it in well with a whisk so that no lumps remain.
- Once all of the flour has been mixed and you have a nice paste like consistency, transfer the mixture to a larger pot at medium heat and add the milk a cup at a time while whisking so that the flour does not clump up. Once all the milk has been added, start adding your cheese. Stir mixture until all of the cheese has melted. Add salt and pepper (however much of each that your prefer).
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook macaroni for about 5 minutes (you don't want it to be fully cooked because it will be put in the oven once its mixed with the cheese). Drain pasta and add it to the pot of cheese. Stir so that all the pasta is mixed well with the cheese sauce. Pour pasta and cheese mixture into a large rectangle pyrex dish. Take breadcrumbs and evenly sprinkle them over the top of the mac. You want the macaroni to be covered but you don't want to overpower it with too many crumbs. Sprinkle the shredded parmesan cheese over the top of the breadcrumbs. Heat the oven to 350° and cook for 30 minutes. Let it cool for a few minutes and enjoy!! ? The key to the shredded parmesan cheese is to have it crispy so I usually broil it in the oven for a few minutes after its done so that the shredded cheese is a nice light brown ?
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Most Impressive Dinner Party Side