If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These cupcakes are made with chamomile-infused butter and scented with refreshing lemon. The honey buttercream frosting that tops the cupcakes makes them simply irresistible. If you love tea, this will be perfect.
These cupcakes were inspired by Cupcake Project's post on how to bake with tea. It really helped me get the flavour of chamomile into the cupcakes
see the original post at http://littleaccidentsinthekitchen.blogspot.sg/2013/02/chamomile-lemon-cupcakes-with-honey.html - littleaccidentsinthekitchen
Food52 Review: I had to give this recipe a try when I saw the combination of chamomile, lemon, and honey. Sounds like the perfect cup of tea! While making the recipe, I was worried they'd be a leaden, oily mess as there is no rising agent and a lot of butter, but they were delicious. They rose like a dream and were perfectly soft and moist. The chamomile isn't particularly strong, but it provides a lovely backdrop to these lemony, pillowy cakes. Note: I added a little extra sugar to make the frosting come together. - AnnainSydney
Makes 14 cupcakes
Chamomile Lemon Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 lemon's zest
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chamomile tea leaves
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup white sugar
Honey Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- Whisk together 3/4 cup of white sugar and lemon zest. Allow to rest for about 30 minutes to infuse the lemon flavour.
- Melt 1 cup of butter in a saucepan. Stir in tea leaves and heat on low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Celsius. Whisk together lemon sugar and tea-infused butter. Whisk in egg yolks until completely incorporated.
- Alternate beating in the flour and milk until you have a smooth batter.
- In another clean and dry bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Add 1/4 cup of sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into the batter in 3 additions.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes, or until a skewer poked into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- Cream 1 cup of butter and 1/4 cup of confectioner's sugar until smooth. Add honey and beat until smooth.
- Pipe icing over cupcakes. Eat right away or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Tea