If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I make a spicy habanero jelly every summer and when making classic (sweet) thumbprint cookies one holiday season, I thought - Why Not Savory? And that's how these cocktail cookies were born. If you don't want the hot pepper taste, try apple butter for another direction. Either way, they're a perfect holiday hostess gift, especially when paired with a bottle of wine. - MrsWheelbarrow
- 12 ounces grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 4.5 ounces unsalted butter
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- .5 cups toasted pecans, chopped
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 4 ounces hot pepper jelly, habanero jelly, or other onion jelly
- Cream together cheese and butter. Add flour and beat until the mixture forms a ball. Remove from mixing bowl and form dough into a disk. Chill overnight. (Or freeze for an hour.)
- Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment or Silpat sheets. Put egg white, beaten, in one bowl and pecans in another bowl.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and break off 1 teaspoon sized pieces and form into little balls. Chill for two hours.
- Dip the cookie ball first into the egg white and then into the pecans and then place them about 1" apart on the baking sheet.
- Slide the baking sheets into the oven for five minutes, remove them from the oven and poke a little indentation into each cookie with the end of a wooden spoon or a small dowel. Put a tiny spoonful of the jelly in the indentation.
- Return the cookies back to the oven and bake until the tops are very lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Cool on the sheet on a rack. These cookies will keep for three days, if they last that long. Store them in layers between wax paper. I package them in stacks in cello bags and tie with a holiday ribbon, attaching the recipe as a gift card.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Edible Gift
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.