Author Notes: Dried broad beans pureè and chicory is a typical south italian single-course meal, because chicory is everywhere in the countryside, and dried broad beans replace meat in the farmer's diet. If you make balls with it you totally win. - Chiarina-ina
Serves a crowd
- 2.5 pounds shelled dried broad beans
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 pieces garlic cloves
- 1 bunch chicory
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 1 splash olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup soymilk
- Soak the broad beans in cold water for a night.
- The day after, put two tablespoons of olive oil in a pan, add onion and fry over low heat for few minutes
- Add drained broad beans and cover with water. Cook until broad beans are melted.
- In another pan fry 2 tablespoons of oil with garlic cloves cut in halves and add washed chicory (don't drain it too much).
- When chicory is ready chop it up and mix with broad beans pureè. Add salt .
- Make nut sized balls, dip in milk and roll them in sesame seeds.
- Cook in hot oven for few minutes, just until sesame is golden.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast