Author Notes: A hot breakfast is one of life's luxuries, but rarely do we take the time on a busy morning to make anything that requires heat. This porridge is the perfect answer, because all it requires is that you turn to oven on to a low temperature, stir a few things in a casserole dish, and go to bed. You wake up to a delicious fragrant breakfast that will have you smiling all day. What's not to love? And even better - if you have a pile of overnight guests to feed for breakfast and you don't feel like cooking - you won't have to. Double the recipe, shove it in the oven the night before and it will be ready to go when you all wake up. - EatSimplyEatWell
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 quart milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- 2 cups mixed frozen berries
- Heat the oven to 180°F
- Pour all the ingredients except the berries into a 2-quart oven-proof dish and give it a stir. Place the dish in the oven and close the door.
- Pour the frozen berries into a wide shallow dish, place them in the fridge to thaw overnight, and go to bed. Sleep well!
- In the morning, remove the barley porridge from the oven and turn the oven off. Serve the porridge with the now-thawed berries and a steaming cup of coffee or tea. Happy Days!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast