Author Notes: Flanken cut short ribs are wonderful for a hands on feast. They are cheap and quick and very easy to cook. The flavor profile of this recipe is similar to bbq that I enjoyed in Argentina.
Serves 8 (allow 1 pound per person)
- 1/2 cup porcini powder, made by grinding dried porcini in a spice grinder
- 1/2 cup sea salt
- 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 8 pounds flanken cut short ribs, cut 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup PORCINI RUB
- 4 limes, cut in half
- Ask you butcher to cut the flanken ribs about 1/2 inch thick
- Make a smooth paste of the peeled garlic cloves using a mortar and pestle. Using your hands, smear the garlic paste all over the ribs.
- Sprinkle Porcini rub over the ribs and smear into the garlic paste which will act like glue.
- Prepare a medium hot grill. Grill the ribs about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Watch that the ribs are a little charred but not burned. (they cook fast!)
- Also grill the limes, cut side down.
- Serve with a half lime to squeeze over the ribs.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Barbecue
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast