Author Notes: When we do an Open House party, this is the dish my close friends always ask me to make. It has alot of things going for it. It is inexpensive and very easy to make(most of the ingredients are standard pantry items); it can easily be quadrupled for large groups; it is a very healthy multigrain starch or vegetarian entree, with whole grains,wheat germ and sunflower and sesame seeds for added fiber, and cheese, milk and eggs for protein. It is easy fork or hand food and is moist and doesn't dry out when kept warm for hours. It is what I call a great 'mediator' dish, going well with many different flavorings- from curried chicken to southwestern chili to manicotti. It has a long refrigerator shelf life and it freezes and reheats easily and well, without losing its appealing textures or flavors. - LE BEC FIN
- 2 cups cooked and cooled short grain brown rice or multi grains*
- 2-3 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream(or milk)
- 2 1/2 cup Grated gruyere (Trader Joe’s cave- aged is excellent)
- 1/3 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup Raw wheat germ
- 1/3 cup Raw sunflower seeds
- lots of kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated gruyere for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees . Over medium high heat, melt butter in skillet, add onion and cook about 5 minutes, til translucent and not brown. Cool. In a large bowl, beat eggs; add milk and cream til well combined. Add rice mixture along with onion through pepper. (Grains soak up alot of salt, so taste to make sure you have enough.)
- Pour mixture into greased 9" or 10” square or round metal , ceramic or glass baking dish. Top with 1/2 cup gruyere and bake 40-50 min. til well browned and bubbly and knife tip comes out clean. Can be served hot or at room temperature.
- Reheats well. For lunch leftovers and snacks,I like to slice it and lay it on its side and bake til slices are browned and crunchy.
- *The chewiness of short gain brown rice makes a big difference in the success of this dish. I also love substituting the brown rice with a wonderful cooked 10 ounce package of Trader Joe's ‘Rice Medley’(short grain brown and red rice, black barley) Aside from the great colors and textures of this variety mix, it makes for a very fast prep time for this dish!!
- Freezes well.