If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe comes from my mother and has morphed over the years to its present state. I find there is honestly nothing better than a slice of this with a slab of butter, whether in the morning, afternoon or late at night. —Janie Gray
Makes 2 loaves
- 1 cup quaker quick oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 1 packet dry yeast (I tend to use Fleischmann's Dry Yeast individual packets)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 5 cups all purpose flour (plus more for dusting)
- Combine the oats, brown sugar, whole wheat flour, salt and butter in a large bowl or food processor fitted with a paddle.
- Pour the boiling water over the mixture and let cool until lukewarm. It is important to let this cool, otherwise you will kill the yeast.
- Dissolve the yeast into 1/2 cup of warm water (between 105-115 degrees) in a glass cup or bowl and allow to proof. Add the lukewarm mixture when it is ready. *You will know it is done when a thick tan foam develops on the top. I have found that sometimes a little sprinkle of white sugar helps this process.
- When the dough is stiff, turn out onto a well floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes. It make take longer than 5 minutes, but the idea is to have a smooth, even dough that is soft to the touch.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover and allow to double in size (approximately 1 hour). *This is best done in a warm place, like a window sill.
- Once doubled in size, punch down and turn the dough into 2 well greased and floured loaf pans. Allow to rise for another hour.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.
Tags: freezes well
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Edible Gift
Beet Greens Can't be Beat
The summer braise worth turning on the oven for
Beet greens can't be beat.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Savor the season.