If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I started making this stew last winter, and fell in love instantly with its irresistible combination of spices and textures. The original recipe that I found was for a soup, and only called for chicken and sweet potatoes which was good, but after making it a few times, I decided that I wanted something a little bit heartier but still healthy. So, I added green peas and bulgur wheat, and the perfect winter stew was born. One thing that always amazes me about this recipe, is that although it does not cook for a long period of time, the combination of the spices, ginger and green pepper give the stew an incredibly deep and dynamic flavor that you can usually only find in slow-cooked dishes. As a side note, since first discovering this soup last winter, I traveled to Thailand for my honeymoon, which only made me love this soup even more, since I now appreciate how it truly reflects the flavors of authentic Thai food.
I like to make a huge batch of this soup and either serve when we have guests over for dinner (it always gets rave reviews), or freeze it in smaller containers so that I can heat it up for a delicious and quick meal anytime I am craving it.
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 Yellow Onions, roughly diced
- 1 Head of Garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Ginger, finely chopped
- 1-3 Hot Green Peppers, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Tumeric
- 4 teaspoons Cumin
- 5 Sweet Potatoes (medium), peeled and cut into large cubes
- 4 Chicken Breasts, cleaned and cut into large pieces
- 28 ounces Coconut Milk (regular or low fat)
- 7 cups Chicken Stock
- 2 cups Frozen Green Peas
- 2 cups Bulgur Wheat
- 1 Lemon
- On medium heat, add 2 tbsp of olive oil to a large soup pot.
- Once the oil is hot, add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the garlic, ginger and chili peppers and cook together for another 2 minutes, stirring often so that the garlic does not burn.
- Add the turmeric and cumin, stirring them together with the aromatics for 1 minute.
- Add the sweet potatoes, chicken, coconut milk and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and then cover and let simmer for 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked and the potatoes are soft.
- Mash about half of the sweet potatoes against the side of the pot with a fork.
- Add the peas and bulgur wheat, and simmer for another 15-20 minutes uncovered until the bulgur is cooked and has soaked up most of the liquid.
- Before serving, give the soup a final stir so that all of the ingredients are combined. Once in a bowl, squeeze half of a lemon over the soup for a final burst of freshness, and then enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast
10 Great Farmers Markets
Add these to your bucket list
10 great farmers markets.
Stress-eat snacks for "True Detective."
Savor the season.
Bagel and lox, in a salad.
A board to go nuts over.