If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A huge, healthy chopped salad full of roasted vegetables, chicken, feta cheese, and Israeli couscous, topped with a tangy Greek yogurt-lemon dressing. This makes a HUGE salad for 4 people, and your dollar goes a long way since cheap ingredients like romaine lettuce and couscous add bulk to the salad and fill you up! —foxeslovelemons
- 2 large red or yellow bettes, roots and leaves trimmed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon + 1 pinch ground black pepper, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered
- 1 yellow bell pepper, quartered
- 1/2 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 teaspoons Middle Eastern seasoning mix**
- 1/2 cup Israeli (pearl) couscous
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400. Place beets on large piece of foil; drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Fold foil over beets and crimp edges to form a tightly-sealed package. Place on rimmed baking pan and roast 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until beets are tender. Let cool 10 minutes, then use paper towel to rub beet skins off.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir together yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, 1 pinch black pepper and 1 tablespoon oil.
- After the beets have been in the oven for 20 minutes, toss bell peppers and onion with 1 tablespoon oil, salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Transfer to oven on same pan as beets. Roast vegetables 25 minutes or until golden brown and tender, turning once halfway through cooking.
- After the vegetables have been in the oven 10 minutes, place chicken on separate rimmed baking pan. Rub chicken with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and seasoning mix. Place chicken in oven; cook 14 to 16 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°, turning once halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepot, bring 2/3 cup water to a boil. Stir in couscous; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered 6 minutes. Cover pan and remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes.
- To serve, cut vegetables (including beets) and chicken into 1-inch pieces and transfer to large serving bowl. Add lettuce, feta, parsley, couscous and yogurt mixture, and toss to combine.
- **To make your own Middle Eastern seasoning, combine 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. dried oregano, 1 tsp. paprika, 1/2 tsp. coriander, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves. You will have some of this mix left over for next time if you use this to make the salad.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast
Cool Ice Cream Tips
They'll change the way you cook—er, churn
The coolest ice cream tips.
The zucchini spaghetti of Italy.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
Orange you sweet.