If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There is a lot of religious ceremony when making Nocino. The walnuts are picked on June 24th, the feast day of St. Giovanni. (In California the walnuts ripen a little earlier...at the end of May. ) The ingredients are all measured in amounts of 3, 7, and 21...all mystical numbers in The Church. Sister Marys Renata through SM Camilla would be horrified to know how little I remember of 12 years of Catholic School!) But, all ceremony aside, if you like walnuts , you will love this liqueur. You make it in late spring and it is ready to be filtered and bottled by Christmas. —dymnyno
Serves 1 litre
- 21 green walnuts, cleaned and quartered
- 2 cinanamon sticks
- 3 vanilla beans
- zest of an orange
- 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 cup sugar(depending on how sweet you like liqueur to be) I use about 2 cups
- 7 juniper berries
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 litre cheap vodka
- Clean and quarter the green walnuts. They will be very soft and easy to cut. (wear gloves...walnuts really stain!)
- Into a large jar or glass crock, put the quartered walnuts, sugar , orange zest, cloves, cinnamon sticks, juniper berries, whole vanilla beans and vodka.
- Leave for 7 weeks, shake every couple of days (3?) It will become very dark brown.
- After 7 weeks, take out all the walnuts, etc.
- Strain the liqueur through layers of cheesecloth. Leave for at least 6 months, then strain again.
- Put into unique bottles as gifts (I often use old Knob Creek bottles ...I have lots)
- The Nocino will mellow and improve in flavor with time. I have a batch going every year---ready for gifting.
- Remember that this is strong alcohol and drink responsibly. I recently gave a bottle to two friends who drank the whole bottle...boy did they have hangovers!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Walnuts
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Italian Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Edible Gift
We're obsessed with savory yogurt
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
DIY Nutter Butters.
Shop our new office.
How to make bouillabaisse.
Just shrub it off.