Author Notes: This dish always brings back memories of New Orleans road trips. It's comforting, yet humble and sophisticated. - mtlabor
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 2 large smoked sausages, cut into slices
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cans chili beans with chili sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- Start with your rice. Add rice and chicken stock to medium pot and cook under medium heat, or according to package directions.
- In a large skillet under medium high heat, add sausage, onion, and celery. Cook until sausage starts to brown and onion and celery soften, about 5 minutes. These three ingredients I think really bring a whole lot of flavor to the dish and I wouldn't recommend substituting them or leaving them out.
- Stir in both cans of beans and tomatoes. Then add enough Cajun seasoning to your liking. Lower the heat a tad, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- By then, your rice is probably done or close to it, so uncover bean mixture and stir in rice. Heat entire mixture until hot all the way through. Serve hot on a plate and dig in!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Beans