Author Notes: I was in the farm shop yesterday and spotted some cavalo nero, that beautiful dark green Tuscan kale and it reminded me of a regular lunch last winter - kale, mushrooms and chilli on sourdough toast. As ever with kale you feel this is really doing you good, the chilli adds further pep. Cheap and delicious, a rewarding result. - Anna May
Serves 2 but easily doubled
- 2 handfuls of kale or cavolo nero
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 red chilli, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 slices robust bread, ideally sourdough, toasted
- Olive Oil
- Put a tablespoon of oil into a large frying pan or wok over a medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft and a little coloured. Add the garlic and chilli, stir and then put in the kale.
- Continue stirring until the kale wilts a little, put the slices of toast onto two plates and divide the kale and mushrooms between them. Season well with sea salt and pepper and a final, generous trickle of really good extra virgin olive oil.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast