Author Notes: I developed this recipe after finding that so many "spiced nut" recipes either used a ton a sugar or a lot of fat (butter or oil). Because I use egg whites instead, the end product comes out not only very tasty - but healthier, too. Besides, the egg white makes a crisp shell on each like, almost like a candy coating. You can use any mix of nuts you like, and easily double or triple the recipe. - incrediblecrunchyflavor
Serves 3 cups
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice or nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Nuts and Coating
- 3 cups roasted, unsalted mixed nuts
- 1 egg white, beaten
- extra salt for sprinkling (I prefer highest-quality here.)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. mix spices together well.
- Pour egg white over nuts and mix well to coat thoroughly.
- Add spice mixture to nuts gradually, mixing well each time to ensure even coating.
- Spread nuts on a lined baking sheet and sprinkle with highest-quality salt, to taste.
- Bake for 15 minutes, toss, bake for another 15 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Edible Gift