If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a salad with more color than you've probably seen all winter. It's earthy, tangy and sweet, like a livelier borscht -- one that makes you want to tear into your next course, rather than go curl up in a warm place. Adapted slightly from Beyond Nose to Tail (Bloomsbury Publishing PLC, 2007). —Genius Recipes
For the salad
- 2 raw beetroot, peeled and finely grated
- 1/4 raw red cabbage with its core cut out, very finely sliced
- 1 very small red onion, peeled, cut in half from top to bottom and finely sliced (to mellow its bite, soak in cold water while you make the rest of the salad, then drain)
- 6 healthy dollops of crème fraîche
- 2 healthy bunches of chervil, picked
For the dressing
- Healthy splashes of extra virgin olive oil
- A little gesture of balsamic vinegar
- A small handful of extra-fine capers
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Mix everything together for the dressing. Toss all your raw red vegetables in the dressing, taste and adjust seasoning, then on six plates place a bushel of this red mixture. Next to this, nustle your blob of crème fraîche as if the two ingredients were good friends, not on top of each other as if they were lovers. Finally a clump of the chervil rested next to the other ingredients in the friendly fashion. A very striking salad ready for the eater to mess up.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Get Baking This Labor Day
These recipes are worth a little kitchen labor
Get baking this Labor Day.
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our staff's best storage tips.
Storage made crystal clear.