Author Notes: I came up with this recipe while catering a 2-day event where the main breakfast was "various baked goods" (which is why the recipe makes so many -about 35) but you can always freeze the left-overs...if there are any! - Nancy Nicole
Makes about 35 scones
- 7 cups Organic unbleached white flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 8 ounces cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups shredded smoked gouda
- 3 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 pound bacon, cooked until crispy and crumbled
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- Mix first 4 ingredients together in a large bowl. Cut in the butter and cheese with a pastry cutter until you have a coarse cornmeal - like texture, with shreds of cheese still visible.
- Combine milk and lemon juice. Add an ice cube or 2 and let sit 5 minutes.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, add the milk and lemon juice (not the ice!), and stir until just combined. Add bacon and onions and knead until dough holds together well, adding extra flour or milk as necessary.
- Roll out on a floured surface to about 1 1/2 inch thickness and cut into rough triangles. Bake on ungreased sheets in a pre-heated 400 F oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden. cool on a rack. When completely cool, extras can be stored in an air-tight container and frozen.