If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Kachumber in indian homes is a salad, which we almost regularly eat for lunch or dinner. Lunch in my state is very typical, Roti, Vegetable (Subji), Dal and Rice and there would be tons of accompaniments like papad, pickle, yogurt or buttermilk, kachumber i.e. salad. The most regular salad would be made with onions, tomatoes and cucumber with chat masala, salt , cumin powder and some chillies. But, whenever it is summer , we all know mangoes are ever popular in India. There are tons of varieties available. We would always have mango in some or the other dish. So, this kachumber is our common and regular summer salad one would see on our lunch menu or dinner table. It is simple and refreshing . - PistachioDoughnut
Makes bowl full of flavor
- 1 mango cut into matchsticks
- 1 Red onion also cut into long thin slices
- 1/4 cup Brussel sprouts shaved on a mandoline
- 1 cup Fennel shaved on a mandoline
- 2 teaspoons Ground fennel powder from the seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- a pinches chaat masala totally optional
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt to taste
- A pinches of Jaggery or sugar(optional)
- Few fennel seeds for the garnish
- Cut the mango into matchsticks Take the slightly sour and sturdy ones. Shave the brussel sprouts as well as the white part of fennel and the sliced onions. Leave it aside for the dressing.
- For the dressing - Grind the fennel seeds into a fine powder into a grinder or I prefer a mortar and pestle, and roast the cumin and grind that too separately. In fact I keep both these things handy for lot of other cooking , so I usually have them on hand whenever I need it. Once you are ready to assemble the salad, prepare the dressing.
- Take cumin powder, fennel powder, cayenne pepper, salt and Jaggery or if using sugar then take sugar and mix it well and add lemon juice to it. If you are using jaggery you will need to mix it well till the jaggery melts. It is a small amount of jaggery so it won't take time to melt and be merry with other ingredients.
- When it is time to serve the salad, prior to that ,simply assemble everything and drizzle the dressing on the salad and serve with a pinch of chaat masala and garnish it with fennel seeds if you wish.
- We love having this particular salad with Dal and rice. It is a great accompaniment. But, you can also enjoy it like a salsa with naan chips or corn chips. It is slightly tart, sweet and gets kick from using cayenne. Any of these things you can use more or less to your preference. Hope you enjoy it .
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel