Author Notes: I've been making variations of this recipe for years. It's light and fresh, a perfect springtime hors-d'oeuvre. The unwavering ingredient in the rolls is fennel. Its crisp texture and cool anise-y flavor offset the supple prosciutto and soft greens. Be sure to give a good whisk to the oil to lightly infuse it with the crushed garlic clove. - TasteFood
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, smashed with the blade of a knife
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 prosciutto slices, halved lengthwise
- 2 cups baby arugula leaves
- 1 medium fennel bulb, fronds trimmed, halved lengthwise, each half thinly sliced lengthwise
- 4 ounces Parmigiano cheese, shaved
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, torn if large
- Whisk oil, garlic, zest and pepper in a small bowl with several strokes to infuse the oil with the garlic.
- Place a slice of prosciutto on a work surface, short end closest to you. Lightly brush with olive oil.
- Arrange 6 to 8 arugula leaves at the base. Place a few slices of fennel and Parmigiano shavings over the arugula. Top with a few pieces of mint. Roll up from the base, tucking the prosciutto tightly around the vegetables. Continue to roll, placing 1 or 2 additional arugula leaves in the fold as you roll up. Place seam side down on a platter.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel