If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Once the ground begins to thaw, and the air is getting a little balmy, it feels so nice to get out and take a nice long walk. A few miles away, on the upper side of Brady Street is an old Italian neighborhood, speckled with specialty grocers, bakers, and tiny store-front restaurants, including Mr. D'Amato's Sanford, where I had my first taste of an herbed gelato. It was basil, and reminded me of spring. Armed with a plump, snow-white bulb of Glorioso's best fennel, and a box of amaretti from Sciortino's bakery, I headed home with hopes of coming close to capturing this same effect. —Jennifer Ann
- 1 Fennel bulb, sliced as thinly as possible on a mandoline
- Lemon zest (microplaned from one lemon)
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 4 Egg yolks
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1 handful Fennel fronds
- 2-3 pinches Fennel pollen (crushed to dust in a mortar and pestle)
- 2-3 Amaretti cookies (optional)
- Place the fennel slices and lemon zest in a heat proof bowl, and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, mix the milk and cream over medium heat until foam forms around the edges of the pan; move off the burner.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and honey until frothy; in a slow stream, pour the warm milk & cream mixture into the eggs and honey, whisking constantly.
- Return the mixture to saucepan, and cook over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon - about 5-7 minutes.
- Blitz about one cup of the hot custard in a blender with the fennel fronds until they are reduced to tiny green specks; pour over fennel and lemon zest , then top with the remaining hot custard; give a good stir and pop in the refrigerator to cool completely; peek in and stir occasionally, pressing down on the fennel and zest to extract more flavor.
- Press the cooled custard through a fine mesh sieve, and freeze according to your ice cream maker instructions; pop in the freezer to firm up.
- Just before serving, scoop into pretty bowls and top with a small pinch of pollen, and crumbled amaretti cookies.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel
More Great Recipes: Ice Cream & Frozen Desserts