If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The star of this roast is a flavorful fennel seed/pollen, schezuan rub with fresh garlic and an assortment of spices, pepper and salt. This cut of pork cooks nice and quick, it becomes tender and juicy when done to the proper internal temperature. I was totally contest inspired to share these favorite flavors with my favorite roast on a chilly evening; pork sirloin. Leftovers make delicious sandwiches. —lapadia
- THE RUB
- 1 teaspoon schezuan peppercorn
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds or 1 teaspoon seeds plus ¼ teaspoon fennel pollen
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 2-1/2 pounds give or take, boneless pork sirloin roast
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced in medallions
- 1 medium fennel bulb, sliced in medallions
- A handful of fennel fronds
- 1-1/2 cup baby carrots
- 1/2 cup vermouth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Toast the schezuan peppercorn in a pan until fragrant, takes a few minutes, keep watch so they donâ€™t burn.
- Using a mortar, spice mill or food processor; grind the toasted schezuan through garlic cloves to create the rub.
- Rinse and pat the roast dry; with a fork poke a few holes into it and using your fingers rub the spices in evenly.
- Add the onion and fennel to the bottom of a smaller size roasting pan. Place the roast and fronds over the top. Add carrots throughout. Pour ½ cup vermouth and drizzle olive oil over the roast.
- Cook, periodically basting, until a thermometer inserted into the center reaches 160°, around 55 to 75 minutes.
- Remove roast from the oven and tent loosely with foil; let rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Slice medallions, against the grain and place on a platter surrounded by the vegetables and the broth. Serve with grain of choice and an apple slaw.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel
We're obsessed with savory yogurt
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
DIY Nutter Butters.
We give it 8 tentacles up.