If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Kids love this dish! - PistachioDoughnut
Makes 10 to 12
For the dough
- 2 cups Whole wheat flour
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 3 Tsp oil
- 1 cup of toor or Tuvar Dal)
- 11/4 cup of Sugar or grated Jaggery
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/4 tsp fennel powder (optional)
- pinch of saffron
- ghee for serving
- Soak the toor dal for about 1 hour and then drain it and pressure cook it with approximately 11/2 or 2 cups of water. Basically we want to boil the dal, either do it with a pressure cooker or in pot preferably with lid.
- Once the dal is cooked, drain excess water if and then mash it with a masher. Heat a pan , add mashed dal, sugar, cardamom powder and fennel powder. Keep cooking it and stirring it till the mixture becomes dry. As the sugar starts melting, the mixture would look liquid but if we continue stirring it for few minutes it will start coming together and dry out. once it comes together, remove it and make a nice soft ball. And, divide this mixture further into 10 or 12 small balls.
- On the other hand, take whole wheat flour, oil and salt and add water and knead well into dough. The dough should be soft and pliable. Cover it and leave it for few minutes.
- When we are ready to serve it. Divide this dough into equal portions and make 10 to 12 balls. Take the dough ball, flatten it with your plams and roll out a small round, place the dal ball in middle and seal it nicely taking all the edges of the dough. Remember not to leave air inside while sealing it or else when we would try to roll it , the dal mixture will ooze out. Flatten it slightly and roll out into 5 inches diameter, use flour to dust if you need .You can keep them thick or thin upto you. i like medium thickness.
- Heat a griddle or shallow pan, add the rolled out bread onto it. Let it cook on one side, when you see some bubbles on top , flip it and cook it another side. Press slightly with spatula in between. If you need flip it one more time and then drizzle or smear ghee or butter on it. Serve hot.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack
How to Take a Food52-Style Photo
Those Instagrams aren't going to like themselves.
Wooden Bird's House
For your feathered friends.
Easter Baskets for Loved Ones Who Sometimes Annoy You
Sure to put somebunny out of business.
The Poor Man's Parmesan
Satisfy your salty, crunchy, oily cravings -- without the price tag.
Style with a breeze.