If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It turns out that quinoa is considered Kosher for Passover because it is technically a seed and not a grain. Many Jews round the Globe have rejoiced at the news as it adds a little variety to the somewhat mundane Passover diet. Some people, I am certain, would still prefer to not take any chances and would personally consider quinoa not Kosher for Passover. I however, embraced it full force (I have had many Passover desserts that can only be described as dreadful).
I am not religious but attend and contribute to a Passover celebration every year. I am always in charge of desserts. It usually means that I experiment a lot. Luckily for me, most people familiar with Passover desserts don't expect much! These folks are used to mealy, dry, gag-worthy delights. I strive every year to change their expectations.This year was an amazing success! Thanks to my new knowledge of the quinoa exception to the Passover rule, I was able to make a truly delicious dessert for the desperate masses. What I made was a decadent but healthy brownie.
My healthy brownies are gluten free, dairy free, low fat, fruit-sweetened and received rave reviews from 14 unassuming guests including my brownie-connoisseur-husband and even my health-food-phobic brother-in-law. - DUZE @BakingBackwards
Serves 10 or more
- 4 large frozen bananas
- 4.5 tbsp unsweetened pear butter (or apple butter if you cant get pear butter)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 8 tbsp 100% cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup filtered water or non-dairy milk
- 2 large organic eggs (or vegan egg replacer, or 2 "flax-eggs")
- 2 cups quinoa flakes
Vegan Chocolate Glaze
- 1 cup Enjoy Life brand vegan chocolate chips or another vegan chocolate chips
- 1 heaping teaspoon unsweetened pear butter
- 1 dash sea salt
- 1 dash cinnamon
- NB: The brownie layer is fairly cake-like. If you want something fudgier, reduce the quinoa flakes to 1.5 cups and bake for only 10 to 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Blend bananas, pear butter, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and half the sea salt together until very smooth and creamy. Taste. The texture will be like gelato (its delicious actually and is the same base I use in my Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies!). Scrape down sides and blend again.
- Add the cocoa and blend until smooth. TASTE! Add more pear butter if it is at all bitter. It needs to be a bit sweeter than you want it. Add olive oil and the chia seeds and blend. Add water and blend until smooth. Add the eggs and blend until smooth, about a minute. Add the quinoa flakes and blend until very smooth, about a minute. Scrape down sides and blend again.
- Pour batter into a large lasagne dish lined with parchment paper. Spread the batter to the edges, ensuring that it is distributed evenly. Bake in the oven until slightly risen. A fork or toothpick inserted in the middle should come out nearly clean after about 20 minutes. Cool on stove-top. Make the chocolate glaze while the brownie layer cools.
- Melt all Vegan Chocolate Glaze ingredients until very smooth and glossy in a small sauce pan over low heat. Allow to cool slightly. Pour over cooled cake layer.
- Variations for serving: If you want the chocolate glaze to set like a doughnut glaze, refrigerate or freeze the iced brownies for an hour before serving. If you want gooey hot brownies, don't cool the brownie layer, make the chocolate glaze while the brownies bake. Pour the hot glaze over brownies, slice and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Quinoa Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
How to Take a Food52-Style Photo
Those Instagrams aren't going to like themselves.
Wooden Bird's House
For your feathered friends
How to Hard Cook Lots of Eggs at Once
Use the oven, you egghead.
Nancy Silverton's Bran Muffins
Wholesome, jammy, Genius.
Style with a breeze.