If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I made Cranberry Spinach â€˜Wowâ€™ Dip to go with my Holiday Spinach Bread Wreath a few months ago, we found ourselves using it in all different kinds of applications. We filled our Phyllo cups with it on our Phyllo (Fill-o) My Cup Bar. We dunked bread, veggies and chips into it. And we slathered it on sandwiches.
OH, did we slather!
I got the idea for the dip from Susan Stamberg on NPR. Every year since 1971, she reads the recipe for her mother-in-lawâ€™s Cranberry Relish on the air to her fans who clamor for it at holiday time. The first time I tasted it, I said â€˜Wowâ€™! Itâ€™s snappy, with fresh cranberries (rather than those sweetened dried kind) and horseradish, to make it bursting with flavor. I just added some spinach and other creamy elements to make it a dip.
So one of our favorite sandwiches to slather is a simple but tasty grilled cheese and sliced meat combo with roasted peppers. I call it Grilled Deli-Style Sandwich with Spinach Dip Schmear, because I thought Grilled Deli-Style Sandwich with Snappy Cranberry Spinach Dip Slather didnâ€™t seem to roll off the tongue nearly as well. The crunchy bread, salty meats and cheese, sweet peppers and â€˜Wowâ€™ dip create quite the winning snap-a-rama of flavor.
Oh, and the chips on the plate? KrunchersÂ® Kosher Dill. Have you ever tried them? Talk about snappy!
(Cranberry Spinach 'Wow' Dip inspired by Susan Stamberg's Mother-in-law's Cranberry Relish) - Sherry K-Jazzy Gourmet
Cranberry Spinach 'Wow' Dip
- 3 cups tightly packed fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup fresh cranberries, washed
- 1 shallot, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- Place 3 cups spinach and 2 tablespoons water in a medium saucepan over high heat. Wilt the spinach by pressing and stirring it into the water as it cooks, about a minute or 2. Squeeze the spinach tightly in a paper towel and place in a food processor. Add cranberries and shallot. Pulse a few times until all ingredients are chopped. Add sour cream, mayonnaise, horseradish, sugar and salt. Pulse a few more times to combine all ingredients. Refrigerate for a couple of hours to allow the flavors to greet one another.
- 4 slices whole grain bread (I use Brownberry Oatnut)
- Cranberry Spinach 'Wow' Dip
- 2 slices swiss cheese
- 6 thin slices pastrami
- 6 thin slices turkey breast
- 1/2 cup roasted peppers
- 1 tablespoon butter, olive oil or coconut oil
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with Cranberry Spinach â€˜Wowâ€™ Dip. Onto each of 2 pieces of bread, place 1 slice of cheese, followed by 3 slices of pastrami, 3 slices of turkey, and Â¼ cup roasted peppers. Top with the remaining slices of bread. In a medium hot skillet or griddle, melt Â½ tablespoon butter or oil over medium heat. Add one sandwich and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining sandwich.
Freeze It Right There
A fruity, frozen spin on a classic.
A bananas frozen daiquiri.
Plan a genius dinner party: part one.
All you need for Memorial Day.
Community Picks: Lettuce-Free Salad
A trusty trivet.