If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I rarely buy jam nowadays. I am so impressed with what a little low heat, sugar and fruit can turn into in a matter of an hour or two. I made this jam with a pile of pears from my local farm. The vanilla extract was homemade. The ginger, pineapple and lemons came to my kitchen from far away but were sourced organically by the same local farm who got me those pears.
During this past Thanksgiving, each guest slathered some of this jam on their bread on the day after, along with a big pat of butter. Then each guest went home with a golden-hued jam jar. They're just so sweet. - eatboutique
Makes 10 1/2 pint jars
- 12 pears, cleaned, cored, peeled and sliced into 1" pieces
- 1 3" stub of ginger, peeled
- 1 whole pineapple, cleaned, cored and cut into 1” cubes
- 1 cup lemon juice (app. 4 big lemons juiced)
- 4.5 cups organic sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange flower water
- Toss all the ingredients into a pot on the stove. Simmer over medium-low heat until tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer until mixture drops thickly from spoon, stirring often, about 1 hour.
- Remove the ginger carefully.
- While still hot, pour the jam into 10 sterilized 4-ounce jars and water-bath them according to your own canning process. I water-bathed these jars for about 20 minutes, and then carefully removed the jars to rest on a towel until cool (over night).
- Label the jars and give away liberally! (This jam is gorgeous on bread with a pat of butter, or stirred into granola and yogurt, or alongside a nice cheddar with crackers.)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Edible Gift
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.