If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Here is a no-fuss recipe that tastes fancy, pleases a crowd, and is easy to toss in a bag, give as a gift, or take to a picnic -- no utensils or refrigeration required! I came up with it after a visit to my grandmother's house many years ago, when I headed back to my dorm with boxes and boxes of corn flakes cereal she'd given me. (Grandma could never pass up a 2 for 1 sale, so she ended up stockpiling shelf-stable groceries.) While I was grateful for the free food, the thought of eating corn flakes week after week haunted me. So before I knew it, I paired the crisp cereal with browned butter and thinly sliced almonds to create this chewy, amaretto-y dessert bar -- now a family favorite. This recipe first appeared on my web site, buttersugarflowers.com —butter, sugar, flowers
Makes 24 bars
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2-3 dashes salt
- 10 ounces marshmallows
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 8 cups corn flakes cereal
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with foil or parchment, and oil or butter the lining. Spray or butter a large, heat-resistant spoon or spatula.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat until it barely becomes brown; quickly turn heat to low. Move the pot to coat its inner walls with the butter.
- Add marshmallows and let them melt, stirring occasionally. Just when marshmallows are smooth, turn off heat; stir in extract and salt.
- Add cornflakes alternately with almonds; mix until all are coated, then quickly pour into prepared pan.
- Press down with buttered spoon or hands to make even. Cool and slice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Edible Gift
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal