Author Notes: After a visit to my grandmother's house many years ago, I headed back to my dorm with boxes of corn flakes she'd bought for me on sale. Before I knew it, I'd paired the crisp cereal with browned butter and sliced almonds to create this chewy dessert bar -- now a family favorite. - butter, sugar, flowers
Makes 24 bars
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2-3 dashes salt
- 10 ounces marshmallows
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 8 cups corn flakes cereal
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with foil or parchment, and oil or butter the lining. Spray or butter a large, heat-resistant spoon or spatula.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat until it barely becomes brown; quickly turn heat to low. Move the pot to coat its inner walls with the butter.
- Add marshmallows and let them melt, stirring occasionally. Just when marshmallows are smooth, turn off heat; stir in extract and salt.
- Add cornflakes alternately with almonds; mix until all are coated, then quickly pour into prepared pan.
- Press down with buttered spoon or hands to make even. Cool and slice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal