If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love the combination of sweet and spicy with squash. This is something that evolved through various permutations over several months and now is a favorite in our home. The glaze is a great combination of sweet and spicy and is a perfect foil for the squash without overpowering it. It looks like a standout side on the plate, but is so easy to make. - TheWimpyVegetarian
- 1 medium or large acorn squash
- 1 tablespoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 425F. With a chef's knife, cut the top and bottom off the squash; cut in half lengthwise; and then each half into 5 or 6 crescent sections. Scoop out the pulp and seeds. You can reserve the seeds for another use, or you can clean, season with a sprinkling of salt, cumin, chipotle pepper powder and garlic salt and toast them to top on the roasted squash.
- In a small bowl combine the chipotle peppers, hoisin sauce, salt, olive oil, brown sugar and lime juice. Stir to combine well.
- Arrange the squash crescents in a baking sheet lined with foil. Baste the squash with the glazing sauce. Roast for 15 minutes. Remove and baste again, pouring a small amount of glazing sauce on each squash crescent. You should have some glazing sauce left over. Roast for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and test for doneness by sticking a sharp blade into the flesh of the squash. If tender, sprinkle with chopped cilantro and squash seeds, if you're using them, and serve warm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
Around the World in 16 Breakfasts
The most important meal of the day, the international way.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Prep your pans for perfection.
Stop the soap opera.