Author Notes: I was never a fan of Rice Krispie Treats.. too sweet too sticky, I like crunch, I like salt ...a few years ago I had to bring something to a bake sale, and really I wasn't all that jazzed about baking anything (it was too hot) so poked around and found a recipe fro brown butter rice krispies treats, which sounded better than regular and also quite easy to make. Of course once I got into it I had to fiddle and add something extra , I had some smoked almonds so in they went. YUM! (Side note just so happend that that day Chef Micheal Symon was filming in my neighborhood and I gave him one and he took my hand blessed me and I have never washed that hand again...just kidding I did wash my hand).
Fast forward to a month or so ago and a "Ballz" Party, where every one was invited to bring ball shape food, and I immediately said AHA...and why not up the ante, I had some leftover dark chocolate ganache in the fridge so in it went...a surprise center. I stuck in on a lollipop stick covered in in Disco Dust though my ballz were much lauded I sadly was beat out by a S'mores Ball.
And now it's today and I wanted to up the cereal ante so I've borrow a page from Momofuko and included a Cap'n Crunch Cereal Milk Chocolate Ganache center and a Dark Chocolate Drizzle.
You could also make these into Bars with the ganache in the Ganache in the center but they are so much more fun as balls. - Aliwaks
Makes about 45 balls
Brown Butter Rice Krispie Balls w Smoked Almond
- 1 cup Cap'n Crunch Ganache
- 1 cup Cap'n Crunch, very finely chrushed.
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter
- 1 bag marshmallows (if you are using fancy ones you'll need about 40)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla paste or Seeds from 1 Vanilla Bean
- 2 teaspoons Smoked Salt
- 5 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 cup Chopped Smoked Almonds
- 4 ounces Melted Super Dark Chocolate
- Roll Ganache into @ 45 balls (1 teaspoon-ish each) and roll each one in Cap' Crunch Dust, place on plate/cookie sheet & refrigerate...this will make things so much easier down the line
- Pre-Heat oven to 375 Pour rice krispies on to a cookie sheet and toast @ 15 minutes until they are fragrantly toasty, and a few shades darker than they were before
- Place Butter in Saucepan over extremely low heat and melt slowly till it starts to smell nutty and turn brown, depending on your pot this can take anywhere from 15 minutes (calaphon saucepan) to 25 (regular saucepan). Stir, shake pan occasionally. Don't let it burn!
- Remove butter from heat & stir in vanilla
- Place Marshmallows on a lined cookie sheet and toast in over until they get brown and toasty as well (
- Scrape Marshmallows into to a large Sauce pan over very low heat, add buttter/vanilla & salt stir well to combine
- Add Rice krispies & Almonds Continue stirring until it becomes a large sticky smoky salty mass remove from heat and spread out in cookie sheet or transfer to bowl
- Take about a Tablespoon of Krispietreat roll in to a ball, make and indentation with your thumb and jam the ganache ball in there, close up the ball, using more krispie treat if required....repeat ...alot
- Drizzle melted balls with melted Dark Chocolate, let cool & enjoy
- IF you do not feel like making the ganache , Nutella is a fabulous substitute
Cap'n Crunch Cereal Milk Ganache
- 2 cups Cap'n Crunch (reg or peanut butter)
- 3/4 cups Heavy Cream or Light Cream orr 1/2 & 1/2
- 10 ounces Dark Chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- You can make this a few days ahead of the Rice Krispie treats and store in fridge
- Preheat oven to 375, Place cereal on a cookie sheet and toast in oven until fragrant (@ 5-10 minutes)
- Place cereal in a bowl, pour cold cream over and let sit @ 20 -30 minutes
- Strain cream into sauce pan, mushing all the cereal bits with a ladle to get all the liquid out
- Heat cream slowly over low until it comes to simmer
- Pour hot cream over chopped chocolate, stir with rubber spatula until chocolate has melted & cream have combined, stir in butter
- Pour into shallow dish and cool until maleable
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal