Author Notes: Oats and potatoes are rather bland on their own, but when a little meat and onion are added, along with a spicy hot sauce on the table, this frittata like hash brown is extremely satisfying. - inpatskitchen
Makes 6 servings
- 3 medium potatoes (I used Yukon Gold)
- 3/4 cup finely diced ham (1/4 inch dice)
- 2 medium green onions, finely sliced
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Additional sliced green onions for garnish
- Your favorite hot sauce for serving (I like Cholula)
- Shred the potatoes on the large holes of a box grater(or use a shredding disc for your food processor) and then place them in a tea towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Combine the potatoes, ham, oatmeal,green onion, eggs salt and pepper in a medium mixing bowl.
- Heat the oil and butter in a 12 inch non stick frying pan , add the potato/oatmeal mixture and spread it out evenly. Cover and cook over medium heat for 7 or 8 minutes until the bottom browns nicely.
- Invert the "cake" onto a platter and then slide it back in the pan. Continue to cook, covered again, for about 5 or 6 minutes until nicely browned on the bottom.
- Cut into wedges to serve garnished with a few green onions and as much hot sauce as you like for the "kick"!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal