If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Please do excuse my photography.
Vegetables and beans with a polenta and parmesan crust
The beans could probably be replaced with ground beef, or any proteiny-thing of your choosing. The vegetables I've listed are just suggestions; this recipe is probably a reasonable way to use up any leftover, slightly-wilting vegetables. The polenta could also be replaced with mashed potato.
This is my first submission - so bear with me... - Louisa M
The Filling (just suggestions)
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 onion
- 3/4 can beans (I used lima beans)
- 1 - 2 large mushrooms
- 1/2 a bell pepper
- 4-6 tablespoons tomato sauce/passata/chopped tinned tomatoes
- 1 - 1.5 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- pinches oregano, salt, pepper, chilli flakes...
- 3/4 cup polenta
- boiling water
- pinches salt (generous) and pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons grated parmesan, plus extra for sprinkling on top
- Preheat your grill to a medium setting. Chop whatever vegetables you're using into small chunks and fry at a fairly low temperature until they brown ever so slightly and get softer. Add the tomato sauce, balsamic and the beans and stir to combine then spoon it into your baking dish.
- Put the polenta and salt in a saucepan and add enough boiling water to cover it. Stir it over a medium temperature, adding more water if necessary, until it is cooked (I'm assuming cooking times vary for different brands but mine took about 5 minutes). Turn off the heat and stir in the parmesan. Spoon and smooth the polenta on top of the vegetables and top with more parmesan. Put it under the grill until it gets slightly browned and crispy on top.
Around the World in 16 Breakfasts
The most important meal of the day, the international way.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.