If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This breakfast is as much about the toppings as it is about what lies beneath. A comforter of warm and milky oatmeal provides the ideal base for all kinds of deliciousness. Ideally, you want to get a good bit of crunch, chew, and mouth-coating richness in each bite. Don't worry about the calories or cholesterol. Don't worry about a thing. The oats are heart-healthy and cancel out the butterfat (I think). - creamtea
Food52 Review: This is really a no-recipe recipe, and a simple way to dress up hot cereal with many different variations. Try a sprinkle of granulated brown sugar, some chopped dried dates, and pecans for a different dimension. - Risa
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk or, for Irish oatmeal, 1 cup water
- 1 pinch salt (for rolled oat version only)
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats or, for Irish oatmeal, 1/4 cup Irish oats
- Drizzle heavy cream or half-and-half
- Nubbin unsalted butter, optional
- Small handful dried California apricots, coarsely chopped
- Small handful coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
- Drizzle pure maple syrup, or a scant tablespoon of crumbled brown sugar
- In a small, heavy saucepan, bring milk and salt to a bare simmer, then pour in oats. For the Irish version, bring water to a boil, then pour in Irish oats.
- Lower heat and cook, stirring with a silicone spatula or wooden spoon, about 5 minutes, or until thickened. Irish oatmeal will take about 20 to 30 minutes -- keep an eye on the pot so it doesn't boil dry.
- Remove oatmeal from heat and scrape into a bowl. Top with garnishes; starting with the butter and cream, and ending with the syrup or brown sugar. Serve with a steaming mug of coffee -- I like Sumatra.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Restorative Recipes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Walnuts
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
What's In, What's Out
What we're obsessed with, and what we're not.
What's in, what's out.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Wedding registry must haves.