If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My father has denied the existence of this meatloaf recipe for about two decades--but over Christmas last year, I found definitive proof. The family cookbook, circa the 1970s--all handwritten recipes. My father, staunch proponent of bran, contributed only two recipes, both containing bran. Oh, dad. I've changed a few things--namely I do not use Raisin Bran like my father did. I also glaze the meatloaf. The glaze is adapted from Alton Brown's "Good Eats." - Hilarybee
For the Meatloaf
- 1 cup Flaked Bran Cereal (I use All-Bran)
- 3/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (I like sriracha, but tabasco is good too)
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Blitz the bran and the spices in a food processor, until the mixture looks like very fine crumbs. Don't go too far--it can get a bit like a paste if you pulse for too long.
- In a large bowl, combine the meat, grated vegetables, and bran crumbs. Whisk together the ketchup and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl. Pour on top of the meat mixture and use your hands to get everything combined.
- Press the meatloaf into a 9" meatloaf pan. It will be slightly mounded. While it is in the initial bake, make the glaze. Whisk together the ketchup, honey, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce. After twenty minutes, remove the meatloaf from the oven. Very carefully glaze the meatloaf--avoid burning yourself on the hot pan! Bake for another 35-40 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
It's Time to Rhyme
The staff at Food52 give us their best haikus.
Do you haiku?
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Shop Spring Cleaning
Bake yourself breakfast.