Author Notes: it's a dark night in the country and a little bacon fat turns into bacon baked pears, which turns into warm gushy sweet love, which in turn makes me want something cool and clean, vanilla ice cream! now i need something crunchy, my favorite granola will do, as will some peanuts and perhaps a little maldon to top it all off. nom.nom.nom. - eyeoftheavocado
bacon poached pears
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean scraped
- dashes salt
- 2 pears
- your favorite vanilla bean ice cream
- bacon caramel
- pinches maldon sea salt
- preheat oven to 350 degrees. in a saucepan, add your bacon fat, your brown sugar & the vanilla bean specks w/ a pinch of salt, over medium heat. bring to simmer and whisk until sugar dissolves.
- cut top off pears & then into halves. scoop out center to create a small well. grease an oven proof glass casserole dish a little and add a little of the bacon "caramel", lay pears inside down and pour the rest of the carmel on top.
- bake in the preheated oven until pears are tender to a fork. 40 - 50 minutes. let cool a bit, slice into thick tender moons.
- add vanilla ice cream to every bowl, follow with slices of your pear, drizzle on some of the "bacon caramel", a good handful of your favorite crunchy granola, a tbsp or more of roasted peanuts on top of that, a little more caramel over all of that with a pinch of maldon sea salt on top. enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal