Author Notes: A simple sauce made from a generous amount of shallots, tomatoes and tarragon wine vinegar takes plain sauteed chicken pieces to a new level. Be prepared for a bit of a mess as the chicken pieces are skin on, bone-in, and sauté not just to brown, but are cooked until they are done. You'll need to scrub down the stove at the end, but it is worth it. Serve this dish with French bread or rice - anything to sop up the delicious sauce. - Waverly
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces and seasoned generously with salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 whole shallots, finely chopped
- 1 (28 oz) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup tarragon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- SAUTE: Heat the oil and 1 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over MEDIUM HIGH heat. When the butter is melted, swirl the pan to combine the butter and oil. Add the seasoned chicken pieces to the pan in an even layer. Cook the chicken until the chicken is golden brown on each side and cooked through, about 12 minutes per side. Note: The chicken pieces should not touch but have room all around them. If they are touching, the chicken will steam instead of brown. You can cook the chicken in batches or use another pan. If you use a second skillet, add the same amount of oil and butter to sauté.
- SET THE COOKED CHICKEN ASIDE: When the chicken is done, place it on a serving platter and cover with foil to keep it warm.
- MAKE THE SAUCE: Pour all but about 1 Tbsp of the fat from the skillet and return it to MEDIUM HIGH heat. Add the shallots and sauté until they are soft, 2-3 minutes. Add the wine and deglaze the pan by scraping away any bits clinging to it. Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Increase the heat to HIGH. Add the vinegar and cook until the sauce is reduced a bit, about 2-3 minutes more. Stir in the remaining 2 Tbsp of butter and cook until it is incorporated into the sauce, about 1 minute longer.
- PUT IT ALL TOGETHER AND SERVE: Reduce the heat to MEDIUM. Return the chicken to the skillet, spooning the sauce over it. Cover and cook an additional 5 minutes. Add the fresh tarragon and parsley and serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar