If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Once upon a time many years ago, there was a tiny stall on the Santa Monica Pier that made potato chips to order and wrapped them in newspaper to take out. Crispy, salty and delicious , they were the perfect handmade potato chip. Potato chips are (one) of my guilty pleasures and so easy to make. Vinegar and sea salt chips are just as easy as any kind of chip. The vinegar flavor is much more subtle than the grocery kind and you can control the amount of salt. —dymnyno
Serves 1 or 2
- 1 large russet potato (9 ounces)not peeled
- 2 cups Vinaigre A L'Estragon (tarragon vinegar)
- enough oil , Canola or vegetable oil 2 inches deep in a deep pot
- sea salt
- Use large russet potatoes that are uniformly shaped and set your mandoline to produce very thin slices about 1/8 inch thick.
- Put the slices in a large nonreactive bowl and add enough vinegar to cover. With your hands, toss the potatoes so that all sides are marinated in the vinegar and they don't stick together. Leave in the vinegar for about 15 minutes.
- Pour about two inches of Canola or vegetable oil into a deep pot and heat to about 300 degrees.
- While the oil is heating, remove the potato slices from the vinegar and spread over a tea towel and dry with paper towels.
- Carefully (watch the hot oil) slip the potato slices into the oil. Don't add too many at once; they will cook more evenly if you don't fry the whole batch at once. Poke the slices around with a metal skimmer to evenly cook the chips. As the potato chips start to turn golden, remove them at once. They will continue to keep cooking as you remove them with the skimmer. Sprinkle with some sea salt and they are ready to eat.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes 2.0
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar
Shop at the Food52 Office
We're having a open house!
Shop at the Food52 office.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
(Home) brew on this.
It's in the bag.