Author Notes: I was smitten with guasacaca sauce the first time I went to Valencia Luncheria in Norwalk, CT. Each table has its own squeeze bottle of the stuff, for you to use as you like. The restaurant is well known for their arepas, a Venezuelan specialty, which taste awesome slathered with the guasacaca. But pretty much anything you put this sauce on will taste awesome, like carnitas, or hot dogs, or eggs. Anything. You'll be tempted to drink it. Try to restrain yourself. My recipe is adapted from every guasacaca recipe I could find on The Google, and my memory of the sauce at Valencia Luncheria.
I use the leaves and legs of the parsley and cilantro. Lots of flavor in the legs. Make sure you give the herbs a good rinse, to wash off any dirt. Spin them dry, or roll them in some paper towels, and you're good to go.
Be careful with your onion. Half of a medium onion is just about a half cup worth. Use any more and the onion will overpower the sauce. - mrslarkin
Makes about 2 cups
- 1 really big handful cilantro, like a hefty cup and a half
- 1 really big handful flat leaf parsley, like a hefty cup and a half
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into a few pieces.
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into a few pieces
- 1 large ripe Haas avocado, cut into fourths and peeled
- 1 garlic clove, cut in half
- 1 small jalapeno, cut into fourths and seeded
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar, plus more if needed
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice, plus more if needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chuck all ingredients, except salt and pepper, into a food processor. Process until pureed. If sauce is very thick, add another glug or two of olive oil, vinegar, or some more lime juice, to taste.
- Scrape into a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Store leftovers in the fridge, with a slick of olive oil over the top to keep out air. Keeps several days.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Avocados
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar