If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A spring vegetarian chickpea soup that's lush in all the right places (but won't lull you to sleep). Recipe from Super Natural Every Day: Well-Loved Recipes from My Natural Foods Kitchen (Ten Speed Press, 2011) - Genius Recipes
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- Fine-grain sea salt
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 1/2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads (2 modest pinches)
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup plain yogurt (Greek or regular)
- Sweet paprika
- Small bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a medium-large pot over medium-high heat, combine the olive oil, onion, and a couple of big pinches of salt. Cook until the onions soften up a bit, a few minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas, and then add the vegetable broth and garlic. Bring to a simmer and remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the saffron and egg yolks, then whisk in the yogurt. Slowly add a big ladleful, at least 1 cup, of the hot broth to the yogurt mixture, stirring constantly. Very slowly whisk this mixture back into the pot of soup.
- Return the pot to medium heat and cook, stirring continuously for another 5 minutes or so, until the broth thickens to the consistency of heavy cream, never quite allowing broth to simmer.
- Ladle into individual bowls and serve sprinkled with a touch of paprika and plenty of chopped cilantro.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!