If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe was made as part of a quest for the perfect marinated shiitake. It wasn't the flavor I was originally after (tried to replicate Fogo De Chao ones), but it was equally good. Silky, slithery, smokey shiitake are very comfortable here in a slightly sweet and tangy marinade. —Eat Already!
- 1/2 pound fresh Shiitake mushrooms,stumps removed
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup red vinegar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 whole dry cloves
- 5 dry allspice
- 1-1/2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and halved
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place Shiitake caps in a saucepan. Pour water in add salt, bring to a boil and cook gently for about 5 minutes.
- Drain the water into another saucepan, add remaining ingredients, stir well, bring to a boil. Immerse Shiitake into the marinade, and simmer for about 30 minutes. Let cool.
- Remove cloves and allspice. Place mushrooms into a jar, add strained marinade. Keep refrigerated.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
A Grain of Truth
When to switch up salts
The truth about salt swaps.
Our recent favorite recipes.
It's time to travel.
Meet the cake stand extraordinaries
Put cake on a pedestal.