Author Notes: This recipe was made as part of a quest for the perfect marinated shiitake. It wasn't the flavor I was originally after (tried to replicate Fogo De Chao ones), but it was equally good. Silky, slithery, smokey shiitake are very comfortable here in a slightly sweet and tangy marinade. - Eat Already!
- 1/2 pound fresh Shiitake mushrooms,stumps removed
- 1-1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup red vinegar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 whole dry cloves
- 5 dry allspice
- 1-1/2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and halved
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place Shiitake caps in a saucepan. Pour water in add salt, bring to a boil and cook gently for about 5 minutes.
- Drain the water into another saucepan, add remaining ingredients, stir well, bring to a boil. Immerse Shiitake into the marinade, and simmer for about 30 minutes. Let cool.
- Remove cloves and allspice. Place mushrooms into a jar, add strained marinade. Keep refrigerated.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side