Author Notes: Maybe you've heard of or make "white" barbecue sauce from Alabama -- it's tart and tangy with mayo and vinegar as its base instead of the more common tomato. I like it a lot and thought I'd put a new twist on it for some chicken kebabs. Instead of the traditional horseradish I substituted sambal oelek for a bigger kick and a little sugar for sweetness. And extra is great as a dipping sauce. - inpatskitchen
Food52 Review: WHO: We've been cooking with inpatskitchen for a long time, and this is one of her best recipes yet.
WHAT: Moist, flavorful, addictive kebabs that will put the rest of the backyard barbecue spread to shame.
HOW: Mix up the sauce, fire up the grill, don't forget to baste.
WHY WE LOVE IT: "How is this chicken so moist?" is what you'll ask yourself while you're eating these. And probably, "Why can't I stop?" Don't ask questions, just keep eating. You have the recipe now -- the secrets are yours. - A&M
Makes 4 kebabs (but there will be enough sauce to do 6 to 8 kebabs)
- 1 1/2 cup mayonnaisse
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (or more if you can handle it..I used two!)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, mashed or put through a press
- Whisk all ingredients together. Cover and refrigerate. (Sauce can be made well ahead of time.)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 to 8 ounces each)
- Four 12-inch skewers (if using wood, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent burning)
- Salt, pepper, and olive oil
- The sauce
- Cut the breast halves into 1 1/2 inch cubes and thread them on the skewers. Season the kebabs with a little salt and pepper and drizzle with a little olive oil. Light your grill to medium heat and oil the grates well.
- Reserve 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the sauce for dipping.
- Place your kebabs on the grill and start lightly basting and turning until the chicken is done. (Be careful not to burn!) Serve them up with a little of the reserved sauce on the side.
- Your Best Barbecue Contest Finalist!