Author Notes: Biting into these meaty, warm olives is such an unexpected sensation that everyone always stops in their tracks and marvels. The olives turn out to be mellower when warmed and their flesh literally melts in your mouth. Meanwhile, the pan-fried rosemary contributes its irresistible herbal-pungency to make the whole experience quite delightful. - Viviane Bauquet Farre
- 2 cups Greek, Cerignola, Alfonso or other meaty black olives
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
- Drain olives and pat dry with a paper towel. (If the olives have been stored in oil, just drain them; there’s no need to pat them dry.)
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium-high heat. Add half the olive oil, the rosemary and olives, and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until the rosemary becomes dark green and crisp, stirring from time to time. Transfer to a bowl and let cool for 5 minutes. Add the balance of the olive oil. Toss well and serve warm. Cook’s note: Keep refrigerated up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature before serving or re-heat for 1 to 2 minutes over medium-high heat.