If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Most people know BBQ sauce to be the tomato or ketchup versions of Texas or Kansas City, the dry rub with mop of Memphis, or the vinegar versions of Eastern North Carolina. But there is another version in South Carolina that originated with the Germans that settled in Central South Carolina and brought their love of mustard to the traditions of low and slow smoking of PORK. This tradition of mustard BBQ sauces has been made famous by some great BBQ joints like Shealy's, Sweatman's, Hite's, Lever's (now defunct, but still selling sauce) and the most famous ... and not the best BBQ, Maurice's Piggie Park. The sauce can be used on chicken, ribs, hash (a SC tradition) but is best with pulled pork. - Bubba Mac
Food52 Review: WHO: Bubba Mac is a new Food52er! (Where have you and your sauces been all along?)
WHAT: Your new grilling condiment, with a serious kick.
HOW: Are you ready for this? Sauté, whisk, simmer. Boom.
WHY WE LOVE IT: You probably have everything you need for this sauce, just waiting in your fridge. Combine the powers of all of them, and you're left with a glorious thing -- a tangy, spicy sauce that is much more than the sum of its parts. - The Editors
Makes about a cup of sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup yellow ballpark-style mustard, like French's
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup water
- Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil on low heat until soft and transparent.
- Whisk in remaining ingredients, cook on low heat for 30 minutes stirring often.
- Thin sauce if necessary with additional water.
- Add more red pepper flakes if you want it spicier.
- Cool then refrigerate.
- Your Best Barbecue Contest Winner!
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.