If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Makes 6 to 8
For the Pastry shell
- 1 cup of All purpose Flour
- 5 to 6 tbsp of Ghee or Brown butter
- pinch of baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp of confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla bean paste or vanilla essence
Sweet Coconut Filling
- 1 cup of Freshly grated coconut
- 1/4 cup or more Sugar You can add more or less sugar as per your taste
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts - a mix of cashews, almonds and also raisins
- 1 tbsp of Ghee
- 1 tsp of cardamom powder, optional
- pinch of saffron dissolved in warm milk
- 3 to 4 tbsp semolina
- 1/2 cup of Khoya available at Indian grocery stores in frozen section
- For the pastry - Mix all the ingredients and make a pastry dough. Cover it and let it sit till we prepare the filling.
- For the filling - Take ghee in a pan, add the nuts and raisins and cook them just for about 2 to 3 seconds , do not let them burn. Immediately add the semolina and cook it for few more seconds, and add all the other ingredients. Cook it till everything is well mixed. once it is done, remove it and let it cool for a bit before filling them into the pastry shells.
- Divide the dough into equal parts and roll out about 3 to 4 inch diameter, place the filling in the center and fold the dough into the shape of empanada. Seal the edges with your fingers or a fork.
- In another , wok heat some oil for frying these. You can also bake them at 350 F for about 20 to 30 minutes or till perfectly done.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
More Great Recipes: Desserts