Author Notes: I am an absolute coconut addict...especially toasted coconut. I love the aroma and the crisp texture of toasted coconut and am always finding new ways to incorporate it into my daily meals. I was craving roasted summer veggies so I roasted what I had on hand and added it to a bowl of lacinato kale. The dressing is what makes the salad...crisp, buttery toasted coconut, creamy coconut milk yogurt, dijon mustard, and a touch of honey come together for the best dressing on the face of the planet. I tossed the salad while the veggies were still warm..OMG. If you are vegan, you could always substitute maple syrup or coconut nectar in place of the honey :) - misschels
For the salad
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 large zucchini squash, roughly chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 4ths
- 1 splash of extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
- 1 pinch each of sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, totaste
- 1 bunch of lacinato kale, ribs removed and leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
- For the coconut, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the coconut out evenly over the baking sheet. Bake for 3-5 minutes, or until the coconut is lightly golden. Pour the coconut into a bowl and set aside. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the toasted coconut for the dressing.
- Bump the temperature up to 400 degrees F.
- Place the veggies on the baking sheet and toss with the extra-virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until lightly golden brown and sizzling.
- Place the kale in a large mixing bowl, add the roasted veggies (you can cool them slightly if you want), and the toasted coconut.
For the dressing
- 6 ounces container of So Delicious plain, Greek style coconut milk yogurt
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1.5 tablespoons honey
- 1 small tangerine, juiced
- 2 tablespoons toasted coconut (reserved from the salad ingredients)
- For the dressing, place all of the ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add 2-4 tablespoons of the dressing to the salad and toss everything together to evenly coat.