If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: During an incredibly vivid dream one night, I concocted a cocktail of coconut milk infused with hot pepper and mixed with vodka; it was called the Lidocaine. Recently, having opened some coconut milk to make peanut sauce, I decided to make the dream, and did by steeping the coconut milk with minced ginger and habanero, a good dash of cinnamon and 2 demerara sugar cubes. Strain and then chill that, shake hard with vodka and ice, strain and top with a splash of Cognac and a strip of orange zest.
Nice! - em-i-lis
- 1 cup coconut milk (full-fat), if the solids have separated out, use a blender to emulsify everything again so you have a nice, thick consistency
- 1/4 teaspoon (a generous 1/4) peeled and chopped fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon (a generous 1/4) seeded and chopped habañero
- dashes (a generous one) cinnamon
- 2 demerara sugar cubes
- 2 ounces vodka (I used Tito's)
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoons Cognac
- 2 half-inch strips orange zest
- In a small saucepan (1 qt works well) set over medium heat, place the coconut milk, ginger, habañero, cinnamon and sugar cubes. Heat until the milk starts to bubble around the edges, the sugar cubes have dissolved, and the milk is warm throughout, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside for another 10 minutes.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a glass vessel and chill for 15 or 20 minutes (or until you want to use it).
- When ready to make your cocktails, pour the chilled coconut milk into a strainer, add the 2 ounces vodka and 5-6 ice cubes. Put the top on and shake, HARD, several times. Strain into two coupes, splash ¼ (or up to 1/2 depending on your preference) teaspoon of Cognac into each and then garnish with the orange zest.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls